Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Home Safety Devices

Is there anything more important in your home than your family’s safety? Of course not, and that is why Feder's takes pride in making sure your home is protected by the best safety devices available.

  • Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCI’s): It’s no secret water and electricity doesn’t mix. Did you know it takes only about 0.1 amps (one tenth of an amp) of electricity to stop a human heart? In areas like your bathroom and kitchen, you have 20 amps of electricity in each outlet in the vicinity of water. That’s enough electricity to stop 200 hearts in each outlet! This is precisely why engineers designed a safety device to protect you in the event of a shock.

GFCI’s are a very sensitive safety device designed to break the circuit and cut the power to the cord in milliseconds to protect you from these heart stopping attacks. All wet areas of your home such as your bathroom, kitchen counters, patio, etc. are required under the National Electrical Code to be protected by a GFCI device. Our expert technicians can show you where they are needed and test any existing ones you may have to be sure they are functioning properly.

  • Smoke Detectors: Today’s safety codes require smoke detectors to be present in everyone’s home. Since the introduction of this early warning device, fatalities in home fires have declined by more than 50%! Even fewer deaths would be avoided in cases where the smoke detectors were not functional because of a lack of power. That is why we install units that are both hard wired into your electrical system and also have a battery back up to insure your family is always protected.
  • Carbon Monoxide Detectors: Carbon Monoxide is known as the “Silent Killer” because it is odorless, tasteless, and invisible gas. It inhibits the bloods ability to carry oxygen to body tissues and vital organs potentially damaging them. It is formed in the home from incomplete combustion from any flame-fueled (i.e., not electric) device, including ranges, ovens, dryers, furnaces, fireplaces, grills, space heaters, vehicles, yard equipment and water heaters.

Adding to the dangers of this gas is that many of symptoms from exposure are misdiagnosed because they resemble flu-like symptoms. Higher concentrations of exposure can lead to more serious symptoms such as dizziness, serious headaches, nausea, impaired vision and reduced coordination. It is fatal at very high concentrations.

That is why Feder's recommends installing a carbon monoxide detector in all locations where smoke detectors are required. We even offer combination units that detect both smoke and carbon monoxide.

No comments:

Post a Comment